I woke up at 6:30 a.m. on the wedding day, all set and excited for a wedding at a venue that has a rooftop deck, which was to be used for dinner and dancing. They couple had put a hold on a tent, but during the week prior to their wedding, they released it. The weather forecast looked fine, and they really, really wanted an open-air feel anyway.
The first thing I did- and I mean the very first thing I did- when I woke up was to pick up my iPhone to see the weather forecast in Philadelphia.
There it was, right in my hand: A chart showing that there was a 40% chance of rain between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., which is exactly the time that the tables would be set with linens, china, glassware, centerpieces, paper goods (both menus and place cards!), and more.
Do you want to know what I did? No, I didn’t panic. I got to work. I waited a little while (with the full knowledge that the world doesn’t necessarily wake up at 6:30 a.m. too) and then contacted a tent company and the venue. The tent company tried to find a crew to set up a tent… but couldn’t. And they have an exclusive contract with the venue, so no one else could be called in either. The caterer and I spoke, then I spoke to the groom, and I think she did too. A final plan was decided upon: the tables would be set in the indoor space adjacent to the roof deck. If it rained, that’s where dinner would be held. If it didn’t rain, the tables would be ready and moved outside for dinner. Usually my plan “B’ for inclement weather is a tent, so this wasn’t ideal.
BUT… we were in luck. No rain, and the dinner and dancing proceeded as scheduled.
This is a cautionary tale. Please have a “B” weather plan. Or let your planner have one!